National Peanut Cluster Day
Five things you should know about
- Peanuts are a good source of niacin, and thus contribute to brain health and blood flow.
- Peanuts are a significant source of resveratrol, a chemical associated with but not proven to cause a reduction in risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer.
- Recent research on peanuts has found antioxidants and other chemicals that may provide health benefits.
- The domestication of peanuts might have taken place in Paraguay or Bolivia, where the wildest strains grow today.
- Many pre-Columbian cultures, such as the Moche, depicted peanuts in their art.
On This Day in Food History…
1824 RIP Jean Jacques Regis de Cambaceres, A French politician and gourmet, a contemporary and rival of Talleyrand and Carême. The dinners he gave were legendary. He refused to admit late-comers, and was demanded complete silence while dining.
1923 The Coca Cola 6 bottle carton was introduced.
1992 RIP Christian K. Nelson, inventor of the Eskimo Pie at age 98.