National Milky Way Day
Five things you should know about
Milky Way Candy Bar
- The Milky Way bar was created in 1923 by Frank Mars.
- In the 1920’s it came in two flavors chocolate and vanilla.
- It was the first mass produced chocolate bar with a filling.
- The name ‘Milky Way’ was taken from a popular malted milkshake NOT the galaxy.
- Outside of North America the Milky Way is a completely different kind of candy bar. See here.
On This Day in Food History…
1841 Orlando Jones of Middlesex, England received a U.S. patent for a process to make starch from rice or corn.
1894 Coca Cola was first bottled by Joseph A. Biedenham of Vicksburg, Mississippi. Before that it was only mixed to order at the soda fountain.
1912 Juliette ‘Daisy’ Gordon Low founded the Girl Scouts of the USA in Savannah, Georgia.
1929 RIP Asa Griggs Candler, In 1887, Asa Candler, a wholesale druggist, purchased the formula for Coca-Cola from John S. Pemberton, an Atlanta pharmacist, for $2,300. He sold the company in 1919 for $25 million.
1930 Mahatma Gandhi began his march to the coastal village of Dandi, to protest the British salt monopoly.
1993 RIP Christian Kent Nelson, He was the inventor of the Eskimo Pie in 1919 in Iowa.