National ‘Eat Like an Irishman’ Day
Five things you should know about
- In 2010, the average Irish person aged 15+ drank 11.9 litres of pure alcohol, according to provisional data. That’s the equivalent of about 44 bottles of vodka, 470 pints or 124 bottles of wine.
- There is a famous Irish dessert known as Drisheen, a surprisingly delicious black pudding.
- Traditional dishes include Irish stew, coddle, and Irish breakfast.
- The leprechaun, famous to Ireland, is said to grant wishes to those who can catch them.
- The first fish and chips was served in Dublin in the 1880’s by Italian imigrants.
On This Day in Food History…
1751 Anders Dahl was born. A renowned Swedish botanist, the Dahlia flower was named for him.
1845 Stephen Perry received a patent for the rubber band. It was made from vulcanized rubber.
1864 Work began on a 2 mile long, 5 foot diameter, water supply tunnel for Chicago. It was completed in 1867.
1944 John Sebastian of the music group ‘Loving Spoonful’ was born.
1967 Billy Corgan of the music group ‘Smashing Pumpkins’ was born.