How about a Mint Julep
Five things you should know about
- Whisky and whiskey are actually the same liquor. In American-English and Irish-English, it is spelled “whiskey”. In British-English, it is spelled “whisky”.
- A whisky stops maturing after it is bottled.
- The dark color of whisky comes from the wooden barrels in which it is aged. The wood expands and contracts with the change in temperature, making the movie in and out of the wood. The compounds from wood give whisky its dark color.
- There are more than 5000 types of Single Malt Whisky.
- The barrels made from American White Oak have been claimed to produce the tastiest whisky.
On This Day in Food History…
1860 M.L. Byrn patented a new and improved corkscrew.
1901 Carl Barks was born. He worked for Disney Studios and illustrated Donald Duck comics.
1923 R.I.P. Sir James Dewar. He invented the ‘Dewar Flask,’ the original ‘thermos bottle’.
1958 Sheb Wooley recorded ‘Purple People Eater’ on this day.
2001 China reported that its population is now 1.26 Billion.