National Cheeseball Day
National Cheese Ball Day
Five Food Finds about Cheese
- Cheese is a generic term for a diverse group of milk-based food products. Cheese is produced throughout the world in wide-ranging flavors, textures, and forms. There are over 2000 varieties.
- Cheddar cheese is dyed orange to give it an appealing color. White cheddar is closer to its natural color.
- Cheese is one of the oldest foods in history, dating back 4000 years to the ancient Egyptians.
- Cheese takes up about 1/10 the volume of the milk it was made from.
- The terms “Big Wheel” and “Big Cheese” originally referred to those who were wealthy enough to purchase a whole wheel of cheese.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1629 The first horses were imported to the American colonies by the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
1790 R.I.P. Benjamin Franklin. American diplomat, publisher, inventor, etc. Among his inventions were the Franklin stove and bifocal eyeglasses. He also published ‘Poor Richard’s Almanac.’
1810 Lewis M. Norton of Troy, Pennsylvania was issued the first U.S. patent for pineapple cheese.
1917 The first Del Monte brand national advertisement appeared in the Saturday Evening Post.
1937 Daffy Duck makes his debut appearance in ‘Porky,s Duck Hunt’
1996 R.I.P. Arnold Neustadter. He was the inventor of the Rolodex rotating card file.
Categories: April Food Holidays, Food Holidays
You must be logged in to post a comment.