National Brisket Day
Five Food Finds about Brisket
- Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest of beef or veal.
- The beef brisket is one of the eight beef primal cuts.
- The brisket muscles include the superficial and deep pectorals.
- As cattle do not have collar bones, these muscles support about 60% of the body weight of standing/moving cattle.
- This requires a significant amount of connective tissue, so the resulting meat must be cooked correctly to tenderize the connective tissue.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1892 The Sierra Club is formed in San Francisco for nature conservation.
1897 Jell-O was introduced.
1910 T-Bone Walker, blues guitarist, was born in Linden, Texas.
1944 Gladys Knight was born. (Gladys Knight & the Pips) A ‘Pip’ is the small seed of a fruit, like those in an apple.
1999 After 22 years of controversial restoration, Leonardo de Vinci’s masterpiece ‘The Last Supper’ is returned to public display.
2003 The first cloned horse was born in a natural delivery. Cloned horses are currently banned from racing.