National Soft Ice-Cream Day
Five Food Finds about Ice-Cream
- An average dairy cow can produce enough milk in her lifetime to make a little over 9,000 gallons of ice cream.
- A cow has only 1 stomach with 4 areas where food is digested: the rumen, reticulum, omasum, and the abdomen.
- The udder of a cow can hold between 25-50 lbs. of milk.
- In the U.S., all ice cream needs to have a minimum of 10% milkfat if it is to be labeled “ice cream”. This includes custard based (French Style) ice creams.
- Sorbet, has no milk at all!
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1851 Charles E. Hires was born. Manufacturer and inventor of Hires Root Beer.
1856 Gail Borden was granted a patent for a process to make condensed milk, which he developed in 1853.
1887 Spencer Fullerton Baird died. An American naturalist and zoologist, he was the second Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution.
1947 J. Arens and D. van Villages synthesized vitamin A.
1996 Miss Universe was told to lose 27 pounds or lose her crown.