December 18 is National “I Love Honey” Day
National “I Love Honey” Day
Five Food Finds about Honey
- Greeks and Roman referred to honey as a food fit for the gods.
- A honey wine was developed, and largely consumed by many. Its given name was mead.
- Honey was so in demand in the eleventh century that it was a stipulation for German peasants to offer their feudal lords payment in honey and beeswax.
- Have allergies? Take a teaspoon a day of a honey made from the region where you reside and it will aid in developing resistance to pollen thereby reducing your allergies.
- Have chapped lips? Apply honey!
Today’s Food History
1829 Jean-Baptiste-Pierre-Antoine de Monet, Chevalier de Lamarck died. A French naturalist, he believed in the inheritance of acquired traits. He was the first to draw an evolutionary diagram. Some of his ideas influenced Darwin.
1965 ‘Taste Of Honey’ by Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass is #1 on the charts.
1988 Pillsbury Co. is acquired by the British company Grand Metropolitan PLC, a food and spirits conglomerate.
1991 The ‘International Project to Save the Brazilian Rainforests’ was launched.