February 22 is National Margarita Day
National Margarita Day
5 things about
1. The original recipe for the Margarita is a concoction of equal parts tequila, orange liquor and lime. Served over ice with a salt-rimmed glass.
2. Some say the Margarita is a version of a popular prohibition drink called the Daisy, a drink found on Mexican border towns substituting brandy with tequila . Margarita in Spanish means Daisy.
3. One ‘Origin’ Myth about the Margarita is that in October 1941, a bartender at Husson’s cantina in Ensenada, Mexico created the drink for Margarita Henkel, a well known German celebrity.
3. Another ‘Origin’ Myth about the Margarita is that in 1948 at the Balinese Room in Galveston, Texas created the drink for the singer Peggy Lee. The Spanish version of Peggy’s name is Margarita( Margaret)
4. ‘Authentic’ Margaritas are made with bitter Mexican limes(key limes). these are smaller thin-skinned limes, much more tart than regular limes.
5. The IBA’s (International Bartenders Association) official standard for the margarita is 7:4:3, that is 50% Tequila, 29% Cointreau, 21% fresh lime or lemon juice.
On This Day in Food History…
1630 Supposedly, Quadequina, an American Indian, introduced English colonists to popcorn.
1879 Woolworths, the first chain store, opened in 1879 in Utica, New York. Woolworth’s diners were the first to introduce the Frito Chili Pies and helped to popularize grilled cheese sandwiches and BLT’s,bacon ,lettuce, and tomato sandwiches.
1920 The first artificial rabbit is used at a dog racing trace in Emeryville, California.
1925 RIP Sir Thomas Clifford Allbutt, English physician, he invented the short (6 inch) clinical thermometer, before then they averaged over 18″ in length.
1987 RIP Andy Warhol,American painter of the pop art movement. In the 1960s he made paintings of Campbell’s Soup cans.