March 15 is National Peanut Lovers’ Day
Interesting Food Facts about Peanut
- Nuts are most healthy in their raw form. The reason is that over 15% of the healthy oils are lost in the roasting process.
- Studies show that people who eat nuts regularly live 2-3 years longer than those who don’t.
- The nut allergy is among the most common food allergies.
- Roasted nutshells were used as a coffee substitute during the civil war.
- Half of the world’s nuts are inedible or poisonous to humans.
Peanuts account for two-thirds of all snack nuts consumed in the USA.
Archibutyrophobia is the fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth.
Everybody loves peanuts; so much so, that there’s a saying: “Will power is the ability to eat one peanut!”
Today’s Food History
- 1858 Liberty Hyde Bailey was born. He was a world famous American botanist who studied cultivated plants. He was dean of Horticulture at Cornell University for 15 years.
- 1891 Sir Joseph William Bazalgette died. A British civil engineer, he designed the main sewer system for London. Allowing for running water .
- 1980 McDonald’s test marketed Chicken McNuggets in Knoxville, Tennessee. They are so popular that they have to look for a second supplier.
Categories: Food Holidays, March Food Holidays
You must be logged in to post a comment.