Interesting Food Facts about Grilled Cheese
- Grilled cheese sandwiches originally showed up in America during the roaring 20’s.
- It is said that grilled cheese was first served as an open-face sandwich.
- A grilled cheese sandwich is often accompanied by tomato soup, a southern delicacy!
- Grilled cheese sandwiches can be served with bacon , tomato, and various other additions. It makes the meal much more filling.
- April is national grilled cheese sandwich month. Be sure to celebrate heartily!
Today’s notion of the grilled cheese is commonly traced back to the 1920s, when the Iowa man considered “the father of sliced bread” invented a bread slicer that made distributing white bread easy and affordable.
In 2004, the online casino GoldenPalace.com paid $28,000 for a half-eaten grilled cheese with the likeness of the Virgin Mary depicted in the “burn” pattern.
In 2009, Los Angeles hosted the world’s first grilled cheese cooking competition: thousands and thousands of people competed at and attended the National Grilled Cheese Invitational, which has turned into a much-anticipated annual food festival.
Today’s Food History
- 1748 Antoine-Laurent de Jussieu was born. A French botanist whose ideas formed the foundation of a natural plant classification system.
- 1985 The four ‘unicorns’ of Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus were declared to be only goats with surgically implanted horns by federal inspectors. The circus was ordered to stop advertising them as unicorns
- 1988 The first U.S. patent on an animal life form was issued to Harvard scientists for a genetically engineered mouse.
- 1989 The USSR issued ration cards for sugar due to a shortage
- 2001 Maryland banned the farming of genetically modified fish in any waters linked to other bodies of water.