April 29 is National Shrimp Scampi Day
Interesting Food Facts about Shrimp Scampi
- The word “scampi” means “shrimp”. Therefore, “shrimp scampi” is “shrimp shrimp” (or “scampi scampi”).
- The pistol shrimp can deliver an explosive attack hotter than the surface of the sun and loud enough to rupture a human ear drum.
- Every shrimp is actually born male, and some develop into females.
- Some shrimp are actually capable of glowing in the dark.
- Shrimp can vary in size from 1/2 inch to 12 inches.
One billion pounds of shrimp are eaten every year by Americans.
The name for raw, uncooked shrimp is “green”.
Every shrimp is actually born a male and then become females as they mature.
Today’s Food History
- 1768 Georg Brandt died. A Swedish chemist, he discovered the element cobalt in 1730. Cobalt is used in steel making, and is an essential part of vitamin B12
- 1856 A shipment of 33 camels arrived at the Texas port of Indianola. They had been purchased on the North African Coast, for the U.S. army to use in the deserts of the Southwest.
- 1913 The zipper was patented by Gideon Sundback. Most checked chefs pants still have buttons.
- 1988 McDonald’s announced it will be opening 20 Moscow restaurants. They will serve Bolshoi Mak instead of Big Macs.
- 1989 Donald Deskey died. An industrial designer, he designed the packaging for Tide laundry detergent and Crest toothpaste among others.