May 1 is National Chocolate Parfait Day
Interesting Food Facts about Chocolate & Parfait
- Chocolate parfait is a dessert made from mixing chocolate and parfait, a whipped ice cream usually with more heavy cream as an ingredient,
- It is often served in a tall, clear glass and topping creation with whipped cream and fruit.
- Chocolate was consumed by the ancient Aztecs as a frothy beverage, somewhat like hot chocolate we drink today.
- Chocolate History comes from a plant, called Theobroma cacao, which translates “Food of the Gods”.
- Parfait is a French word that means perfect.
The oldest recipe with the name parfait comes from a French cookbook dated 1869. It was a frozen coffee-flavored French ice dessert constructed in tall and thin ice moulds.
Today, the ‘French’ style parfait is served on decorated plates instead of tall, thin glassware.
Today’s Food History
- 1683 Supposedly, a patent for a system of extracting salt from sea water was granted in England.
- 1841 The first wagon train left Independence, Missouri for California.
- 1851 London’s Great Exhibition opened in Hyde Park. It was the first international exhibition ever to be held. The Exhibition was housed in the Crystal Palace.
- 1889 Bayer introduced aspirin powder in Germany.
- 1927 Imperial Airways became the first British airline to serve hot meals.
- 1931 Empire State Building opens. It was built on the site of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel
- 1971 ‘Brown Sugar’ by the Rolling Stones is released.
- 1991 Charles Elton died. Elton was an English biologist who first developed the idea of a ‘food chain.’
- 2001 Hindus in Seattle filled suit against McDonald’s restaurant chain for not disclosing the use of beef flavoring in its French Fries.
- 2005 A 9 foot, 640 pound freshwater catfish was caught by fishermen in northern Thailand on the Mekong River. According to many, this is the largest freshwater fish ever caught.
Check out my book!
Categories: Food Holidays, May Food Holidays
You must be logged in to post a comment.