May 1 is National Chocolate Parfait Day
Interesting Food Facts about Chocolate & Parfait
- Chocolate parfait is a dessert made from mixing chocolate and parfait, a whipped ice cream usually with more heavy cream as an ingredient,
- It is often served in a tall, clear glass and topping creation with whipped cream and fruit.
- Chocolate was consumed by the ancient Aztecs as a frothy beverage, somewhat like hot chocolate we drink today.
- Chocolate History comes from a plant, called Theobroma cacao, which translates “Food of the Gods”.
- Parfait is a French word that means perfect.
The oldest recipe with the name parfait comes from a French cookbook dated 1869. It was a frozen coffee-flavored French ice dessert constructed in tall and thin ice moulds.
Today, the ‘French’ style parfait is served on decorated plates instead of tall, thin glassware.
Today’s Food History
- 1683 Supposedly, a patent for a system of extracting salt from sea water was granted in England.
- 1841 The first wagon train left Independence, Missouri for California.
- 1851 London’s Great Exhibition opened in Hyde Park. It was the first international exhibition ever to be held. The Exhibition was housed in the Crystal Palace.
- 1889 Bayer introduced aspirin powder in Germany.
- 1927 Imperial Airways became the first British airline to serve hot meals.
- 1931 Empire State Building opens. It was built on the site of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel
- 1971 ‘Brown Sugar’ by the Rolling Stones is released.
- 1991 Charles Elton died. Elton was an English biologist who first developed the idea of a ‘food chain.’
- 2001 Hindus in Seattle filled suit against McDonald’s restaurant chain for not disclosing the use of beef flavoring in its French Fries.
- 2005 A 9 foot, 640 pound freshwater catfish was caught by fishermen in northern Thailand on the Mekong River. According to many, this is the largest freshwater fish ever caught.
Check out my book!