May 9 is National Shrimp Day
Shrimp, low in fat and high in protein and a moderate source of omega-3 fatty acids,
is the most popular seafood in the United States,
Did you know…
- The pistol shrimp can deliver an explosive attack hotter than the surface of the sun and loud enough to rupture a human ear drum.
- Every shrimp is actually born male, and some develop into females.
- Some shrimp are actually capable of glowing in the dark.
- Shrimp can vary in size from 1/2 inch to 12 inches.
- In some areas, shrimp served with the head still attached is considered a delicacy.
Today’s Food History
- 1785 The beer-pump handle was patented by Joseph Bramah.
- 1845 Carl Gustaf Patrik de Laval was born. A Swedish scientist and inventor. Among his inventions was the centrifugal cream separator and a vacuum milking machine.
- 1914 R.I.P. C. W. Post (Charles William. He founded the Postum Cereal Co. in 1895 (renamed General Foods Corp. in 1922) to manufacture Postum cereal beverage; 1897 Grape Nuts, 1904 Post Toasties (originally called Elijah’s Mana).
- 1992 The record brown trout weighed over 40 pounds and was caught in Arkansas.