May 13 is National Apple Pie Day
Posted on May 13, 2014
As American as…well you know. Originally served cold and until the early 1900’s was considered a breakfast food.
Typically filled with cinnamon sugared apples.
Celebrate the National Apple Pie day on May 13th!
Did you know…
- The first printed reference to apple pie was in 1589 by Robert Greene in ‘Arcadia’: “Thy breath is like the steame of apple-pyes.”
- Tradition has it that Yale College served apple pie at every supper for more than 100 years
- There is an old saying: ‘Apple pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze.’
- Americas favorite dessert, so much so that some things are said to be as American as apple pie.
- McDonald’s added an apple pie dessert to its menu in 1968.
Today’s Food History
- 1637 I am not totally confident with the month and day, but supposedly, Cardinal Richelieu ‘created’ the table knife when he had the points rounded on all knives to be used at his table. Presumably so no one could stab him.
- 1884 R.I.P. Cyrus Hall McCormick. He is generally credited with the development of the mechanical reaper
- 1958 Velcro was trademarked.
- 1993 The Red Hot Chili Peppers play on the Simpsons TV show.
- 2008 R.I.P. Robert Mondavi, age 94. A leading Napa Valley vintner who helped establish California wines among the best in the world.