May 21 is National Strawberries and Cream Day
Picture Source: kblog.lunchboxbunch.com
Strawberries and cream is a traditional English dessert and afternoon tea snack,
a delicious and unique way of enjoying strawberries.
Celebrate the National Strawberries and Cream day on May 21th!
Did you know…
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside.
- The ancient Romans believed that strawberries alleviated symptoms of melancholy, fainting, all inflammations, fevers, throat infections, kidney stones, bad breath, attacks of gout, and diseases of the blood, liver and spleen.
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring.
- Over 53 percent of seven to nine-year-olds picked strawberries as their favorite fruit.
- In a test, subjects who ate nitrate rich foods like strawberries, before exercising burned 100 more calories than those who did not.
Today’s Food History
- 1923 Delmonico’s Restaurant closed its doors, a victim of Prohibition. (Some sources list October 4, 1918).
- 1987 R.I.P. Archie Fairley Carr. An American biologist and authority on turtles. His extensive studies and conservation efforts helped to increase turtle populations around the world.
- 2009 After months of numerous mechanical failures, a new recycling system was activated on the international space station. The new system recycles astronauts urine and sweat into drinking water.