August 11 is National Raspberry Bombe Day
Posted on August 11, 2014
Frozen raspberries with an ice cream filling is
the perfect summer dessert.
Here are today’s five thing to know about the ‘Raspberry Bombe’ :
- Bombe comes in many flavors fruity and sweet.
- Escoffier gives over sixty recipes for bombes in Le Guide culinaire.
- A bombe glacée or simply a bombe in English, is an ice cream dessert frozen in a spherical mould so as to resemble a cannonball, hence the name.
- The dessert appeared on restaurant menus as early as 1882.
- Raspberry bombe is among the most popular flavors.
Today’s Board: Raspberry recipes & more
Today’s Food History
- 1858 Christiaan Eijkman was born. A Dutch physician who discovered that beriberi was caused by a poor diet (a lack of vitamin B1), which eventually led to the discovery of vitamins.
- 1874 Harry S. Parmelee of New Haven, Connecticut patented the sprinkler head.
- 1949 Eric Carmen of the music group ‘The Raspberries’ was born.
- 1962 Booker T and the MG’s released their instrumental single ‘Green Onions’.
- 1992 The Mall of America opened in Bloomington, Minnesota. It was the largest shopping mall in the U.S.