August 21 is National Spumoni Day
Molded Italian ice cream. How could you go wrong?
Here are today’s five thing to know about Spumoni
- An average dairy cow can produce enough milk in her lifetime to make a little over 9,000 gallons of ice cream.
- A cow has only 1 stomach with 4 areas where food is digested: the rumen, reticulum, omasum, and the abdomen.
- The udder of a cow can hold between 25-50 lbs. of milk.
- In the U.S., all ice cream needs to have a minimum of 10% milkfat if it is to be labeled “ice cream”. This includes custard based (French Style) ice creams.
- Sorbet, has no milk at all!
Today’s Pinterest Board : Spumoni, Recipes and More
Today’s Food History
- 1814 Benjamin Thompson, Count von Rumford died. American physician who invented the percolator, a pressure cooker and a kitchen stove. He is frequently credited with creating baked Alaska.
- 1988 Pubs are now allowed to stay open 12 hours each day (except Sunday) in the U.K.
- 1997 The largest food recall in U.S. history. Hudson Foods closed its Nebraska plant and recalled 25 million pounds of ground beef that were potentially contaminated with E. coli 01557:H7
Categories: August Food Holidays, Food Holidays
You must be logged in to post a comment.