October 13 is The National Peanut Festival
Here are today’s five thing to know about Nuts:
- Nuts are healthier in their raw form. The reason is that over 15% of the healthy oils are lost in the roasting process.
- Studies show that people who eat nuts regularly live 2-3 years longer than those who don’t.
- The nut allergy is among the most common food allergies.
- Roasted nutshells were used as a coffee substitute during the civil war.
- Half of the world’s nuts are inedible or poisonous to humans.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
National Yorkshire Pudding Day
St. Colman’s Day, patron of cattle and horses.
- 54 A.D. Tiberius Claudius Drusus Nero Germanicus, Emperor of Rome A.D. 41-54, died by poisoning. Known as Claudius I, supposedly he was poisoned with mushrooms by his wife Agrippina, after her son Nero was named as his heir.
- 2006 Six Flags theme park in Gurnee, Illinois holds a live cockroach eating contest.