Here are today’s five thing to know about Caramel Apple:
- Candy Apples were first introduced in Arabian cuisine. The reason was that fruit was candied to preserve it.
- Americans have over the years turned that practice into gigantic apples covered everything from red candy and caramel to chocolate, peanuts, popcorn, and more chocolate.
- Soldiers in World War I were slanged “toffee apples” Candy Apples are popular all over the world.
- China vendors sell them on bicycle, England celebrates Guy Fawkes Day with caramel apples on November 5.
- Everything from a Kool-Aid flavor to a nail-polish shade has been named candy apple red.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1826 Noah Cushing was issued a patent for a threshing and winnowing machine.
- 1831 Carl von Voit was born. German physiologist whose work on metabolism helped establish modern nutritional science.
- 1888 Scottish inventor John Boyd Dunlop was issued a patent for pneumatic bicycle tires.
- 1917 Patience Gray, British cookery writer, was born. ’Plats Du Jour’ (1957), ‘Honey From A Weed’ (1986)
- 1920 Justice Oliver Wendell Homes handed down the decision of the Supreme Court, which upheld trademark violations for The ‘Coca- Cola Company’ against ‘The Koke Company of America’.
- 1950 John Candy was born. Canadian comedian and actor, member of ‘The Second City’ comedy troupe.
- 1981 Dunkin’ Donuts opened its first store in Thailand.
- 1982 Waverley Root, cookbook and food author died in Paris at age 79.
- 2007 David Tallichet, founder of Specialty Restaurants Corp, died. A former WW II pilot, most of the restaurants have aviation themes, or are located on prime waterfront or hilltop properties.