November 9 is National Chocolate Cupcake Day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Chocolate Cupcake:
- Cupcake liners do more than make it easy to remove them from the pan. Traditionally, sides of tins are greased for easy removal, but also floured because the batter needs to have something to cling to. A cupcake liner takes care of both.
- On August 15, 2009 GourmetGiftBaskets.com broke the world record for largest cupcake ever made. The cupcake was 1,224 pounds, 4 foot tall by 10 foot wide, and had 2 million calories.
- One of the most popular cupcake bakery’s in the U.S. is Crumbs in New York City. They have reported $23.5 million in cupcake revenue last year alone!
- The first mention of a cupcake recipe goes as far back as 1796. Amelia Simms wrote a recipe in “American Cookery” which referenced, “a cake to be baked in small cups”.
- However, it wasn’t until 1828 that the actual word cupcake was used by Eliza Leslie in her cookbook “Seventy-five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes, and Sweetmeats”.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1801 Gail Borden born. Inventor of process for making condensed milk, and founder of New York Condensed Milk Co. (later renamed Borden Co).
- 1857 The first issue of the Atlantic Monthly was published. It contained the first installment of Oliver Wendell Holmes’ ‘The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table.’
- 1891 George A. Hormel opened his packinghouse in Austin, Minnesota.
- 1911 George Claude applied for a patent for an electric neon sign. It was issued on January 19, 1915.
- 1938 Edward Murray East died. An American botanist and chemist he helped with the development of hybrid corn. Specifically, he concentrated on controlling the protein and fat content of possible hybrids.
- 1948‘More Beer’ is recorded by the Ames Brothers.
- 1953 Dylan Thomas, Welsh poet, died at the Chelsea Hotel in New York. He had consumed 18 straight martinis.
- 1961 During lunchtime, Brian Epstein heard the Beatles for the first time at The Cavern in Liverpool.
- 1963 The enigmatic ‘Louie Louie’ was released by the Kingsmen.
- 1965 At 5:15 p.m. a 13 hour blackout of the northeastern U.S. and parts of Canada began when the electric grid failed.
Check out my book!
Categories: Food Holidays, November Food Holidays
Tagged: chocolate cupcakes, national cupcake day
You must be logged in to post a comment.