November 21 is National Gingerbread Cookie Day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Gingerbread Cookie:
- Gingerbread originates from ancient Greeks and Egyptians who used as a ceremonial offering.
- The term gingerbread is from the Latin term zingiber via old French gingebras, meaning preserved ginger.
- In Nuremberg, Ulm and Pulsnitz in Germany, Torun in Poland, Tula in Russia, the making of gingerbread is considered a Fine Art .
- After the Brothers Grimm’s “Hansel and Gretel” story published, the gingerbread house making became popular throughout Europe.
- In 992, gingerbread was first brought to Europe by am Armenian monk named Gregory of Nicopolis.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Julie Child’s Holiday Recipes
Today’s Food History
- 1941 ‘King Biscuit Time’ radio show was first broadcast from Helena, Arkansas. It is the longest running daily radio program in history, broadcasting live blues music, interviews, etc. It is named for its sponsor, King Biscuit Flour. The ‘King Biscuit Flour Hour’ rock and roll radio program took its name from ‘King Biscuit Time.’
- 1970 ‘I Think I Love You’ by the Partridge Family is #1 on the charts.
- 1980 28,000 Canada geese spend a few nights on Silver Lake in Rochester, Minnesota.