December 10 is National Lager Day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Lager:
- Lager is a type of beer that is fermented at low temperatures and generally takes longer to ferment out than ales.
- Most lager has a light color and crispy tasting.
- The first US lager was brewed in 1840 by John Wagner in Philadelphia.
- Lager beer is the most popular beer style throughout the world except in UK, where ale is dominate.
- Besides pale lager, there are also dark lagers, such as Dunkel and Schwarzbier.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1851 Melvil Dewey was born. He created the Dewey Decimal Classification system for cataloging library books.
- 1877 Dr. Jared Kirtland died. A physician, naturalist, botanist and teacher, he is credited with developing 26 varieties of cherries and six varieties of pears.
- 1947 Walter Orange of the music group ‘The Commodores’ was born.
- 1958 A National Airlines Boeing 707 with 111 passengers flew from New York to Miami. It was the first domestic passenger jet flight.