December 25 is National Pumpkin Pie Day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Pumpkin Pie:
- The American colonists used pumpkin in pie crusts, but not in the filling.
- The type of pumpkin pie we know today was not made until the 1700s.
- Every year, 50 million pumpkin pies are made using Libby’s canned product.
- Nestle bought Libby’s in 1971.
- The world’s largest pumpkin pie weighed over 350 pounds and was made with 80 pounds of pumpkin, 36 pounds of sugar, and 144 eggs.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1213 King John of England ordered 3,000 capons, 1,000 salted eels, 400 hogs, 100 pounds of almonds and 24 casks of wine for his Christmas feasts.
- 1252 Henry III hosts 1,000 knights and nobels at York. 600 oxen are consumed.
- 1415 England’s Henry V orders food distributed to the citizens of Rouen who are trapped by his siege. Henry himself dines on roast porpoise.
- 1512 The Duke of Northumberland was served 5 swans for Christmas dinner.
- 1580 The Christmas feasts of Sir William Petrie includes 17 oxen, 14 steers, 29 calves, 5 hogs, 13 bucks, 54 lambs, 129 sheep and one ton of cheese.
- 1642 Sir Isaac Newton was born. Newton was an English mathematician famous for being hit on the head by a falling apple (probably a ‘Flower of Kent’ variety). He also wrote ‘Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy’ in 1687.
- 1714 England’s King George I has his first Christmas pudding, made with 5 pounds of suet and 1 pound of plums.
- 1741 Anders Celsius developed the Centigrade temperature scale. Originally he had the freezing point of water at 100 and the boiling point at 0. This was reversed after his death to match the other temperature scales.
- 1805 American explorer Zebulon Pike celebrated Christmas by allowing “two pounds extra of meat, two pounds extra of flour, one gill of whiskey, and some tobacco, to each man, in order to distinguish Christmas Day.”
- 1852 A 446 pound baron of beef was served to Queen Victoria and the royal family.
- 1887 Conrad Nicholson Hilton was born. Founder of one of the largest hotel chains. It all began when he and his father turned their large New Mexico house into an inn for traveling salesmen.
- 1944 Henry Vestine of the music group ‘Canned Heat’ was born.
- 1946 Jimmy Buffet, musician, was born. ‘Cheesburger in Paradise,’ ‘Margaritaville’ etc.
- 1954 Liberty Hyde Bailey died. He was an American botanist who studied cultivated plants and developed horticulture into an applied science.
- 1958 ‘The Chipmunk Song’ becomes the only Christmas song in U.S. in history to be Number #1 on Christmas Day.
- 1960 Dr. Irving Cooper received a wine bottle opener for Christmas. It injected carbon dioxide gas into the bottle to force the cork out. He noticed the gas was extremely cold coming out from the needle like device. This gave him the idea to develop a brain surgery technique using liquid nitrogen to freeze tiny areas of brain cells or tumors.
- 1971 Neil Hogan of the musical group The Cranberries was born.
Categories: December Food Holidays, Food Holidays
You must be logged in to post a comment.