December 31 is National Vinegar Day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Vinegar:
“A day to reflect on the years gone by“
- Vinegar has been used for 10,000 years. It just might be the world’s oldest ingredient.
- The main uses for white distilled vinegar are cooking/food preparation and cleaning/disinfecting.
- The International Vinegar Museum is in Roslyn, South Dakota.
- Consumers in the South buy and use more white distilled vinegar than in any other region of the country.
- Adding vinegar to baking soda produces a chemical reaction that produces carbon dioxide. This combination is often used to make a do-it-yourself erupting volcano.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1600 The British East India Company was incorporated by royal charter. It was created to compete in the East Indian spice trade.
- 1841 Alabama becomes the first state to issue dental licenses.
- 1853 A New Years Eve dinner party for 21 scientists was held inside a life size model of an Iguanodon dinosaur on the grounds of the Crystal palace in London. Sculpture Benjamin W. Hawkins had teamed up with paleontologist Richard Owen to create more than 2 dozen lifesize models of dinosaurs for a special exhibit.
- 1879 Thomas Alva Edison made the first public demonstration of his electric light bulb in Menlo Park, New Jersey.
- 1917 Sugar rationing began in Britain as a result of WW I
- 1929 Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians played ‘Auld Lang Syne’ as their New Years Eve song for the first time.
- 1938 The Harger ‘Drunkometer’, the first alcohol breath testing device, was introduced in Indiana.
- 1977 ‘Bubbling Brown Sugar’ closed at the ANTA Playhouse in NYC after 766 performances.