January 8 is National English Toffee Day
Posted on January 8, 2015
Here are today’s five thing to know about English Toffee:
- Toffee and Caramel are sometimes interchangeable.
- Toffees consist of mainly sugar and water, while caramels use dairy products in their production, making them softer
- Almondy butter treats are toffee from England. This kind of candy is known globally and has many varieties.
- Michigan toffee comes in varies styles, some hard and some chewy, some chocolate covered with nut sprinkles.
- Tafia, a West Indian rum of molasses or sugarcane juice, is theorized to be the source of the word.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1676 Charles II of England revoked his previous proclamation suppressing Coffee Houses due to public response.
- 1800 The first soup kitchens in London were opened to serve the poor.
- 1823 Alfred Russel Wallace was born. Wallace was a British naturalist who developed a theory of natural selection independently of Charles Darwin. He sent his conclusions to Darwin, and their findings were both presented to the Linnaean Society in 1858.
- 1825 Eli Whitney died. Inventor of the cotton gin, but more important he developed the concept of mass producing interchangeable parts.
- 1872 African American inventor Thomas Elkins received his second patent. It was for a ‘Chamber Commode’ – a combination “bureau, mirror, book-rack, washstand, table, easy chair, and earth-closet or chamber-stool.”
- 1894 Pierre Joseph van Beneden died. A Belgian parasitologist, he discovered the life cycle of tapeworms.
- 1926 Comedian ‘Soupy Sales’ was born. Most of his routines ended with Soupy receiving a pie in the face.
- 1992 President George H.W. Bush becomes ill on a trip to Japan and vomits on Japanese Prime Minister Miyazawa Kiichi.
- 1998 Walter E. Diemer died. While working for the Fleer Chewing Gum Company, he experimented with recipes for chewing gum as a hobby. (He really liked his gum!). He invented bubble gum in 1928.
- 2002 Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy’s Hamburger chain, died.