February 8 is National “Potato Lovers” Day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Potato:
- The word , potato, is derived from a Native American word “Batata”
- The first cultivated potatoes date back to 500o BC in Peru. Originally, they were purple. When cooked they turn a deep blue color.
- Most of the nutrients found in potatoes are in the skin.
- Sweet potatoes are distant relatives of the common potato, while Yams are not potatoes at all, they botanically are considered lilies.
- The word spud actually means “to dig a small hole in the grown, similar to spade, a tool to dig small holes.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1795 Friedlieb Ferdinand Runge was born. A German chemist who developed a method for obtaining sugar from beet juice.
- 1886 Wilhelm Koppers was born. This cultural anthropologist developed theories on the origins of society based on studies of hunter-gatherer tribes.
- 1898 John Sherman of Worcester, Massachusetts received a patent for the first machine to fold and seal envelopes.
- 1925 Actor Jack Lemmon was born. A couple of his film titles: ‘The Fortune Cookie’ and ‘Days of Wine and Roses’
- 1946 Adolfo De La Parra of the music group ‘Canned Heat’ was born.