February 24 is National Tortilla Chip Day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Tortilla Chip:
- Most tortilla chips are triangular shaped because they are cut from round tortilla.
- In Mexico, Tortilla Chips are called tostados, toasted chips. Outside of North America they are called “corn chips”
- Doritos brand is the first toasted tortilla chip launched nationally in the U.S.(1966)
- Tortilla chips are considered the most fattening item sold in Mexican restaurants with as much as 2 grams of fat per chip.
- Nachos, chips topped with a variation of shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc., are said to be created by Ignacia Anaya in 1943, account for 30% of all restaurant tortilla chips
“Why is it so hard to find an exercise bike with a basket for my tortilla chips?“~Roseanne Barr
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1874 RIP John Bachman, A Naturalist who wrote some of the text for John James Audubon’s albums of birds and mammals of North America.
- 1938 DuPont begins production of nylon toothbrush bristles. A patent had been granted in 1937. The nylon bristles replaced hog bristles. Yes, toothbrushes used to be made with hog bristles.
- 1955 Steven Jobs was born, co-founder of Apple computer company. According to the company, he “grew up in the apricot orchards which later became known as Silicon Valley.”
- 1989 A fossil egg was found in Utah that was 150 million years old.