March 1 is National Peanut Butter Lover’s day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Peanut Butter:
- Peanuts account for 2/3rds of the total snack “nuts” consumption in the USA
- The USA produce about 6% of the world’s crop of peanuts: by comparison India and China, together, produce about 70%
- An 18oz jar of peanut butter needs 850 peanuts
- West Coast people prefer chunky peanut butter, whereas those in the East Coast people like creamy.
- 96% of people, when making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, put the peanut butter on before the jelly. Two presidents of the USA, Jimmy Carter and Thomas Jefferson, were peanut farmers.
Food related Events of March 1
also: National Fruit Compote Day
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1784 E. Kidner opened the first cooking school in Great Britain.
- 1927 Harry Belafonte, singer, actor, was born. His biggest hit was “Day-O (The Banana Boat Song” in 1956.
- 1970 U.S. commercial whale hunting ended.
- 1989 Jack Dietz holds the world’s record for watermelon seed spitting, 66 feet 11 inches.
- 1989 A 75 year-long ban on beer was lifted this day in Iceland.
- 1990 The British Royal Navy began issuing rum rations to sailors as early as 1655. The Royal New Zealand Navy was the last navy in the world to end daily rum rations for sailors in 1990.
- 2002 McDonald’s announced in a press release that it has agreed to pay 10 million dollars to Hindu and vegetarian groups to settle lawsuits over its use of beef flavoring in its French Fries.
Categories: Food Holidays, March Food Holidays
You must be logged in to post a comment.