March 12 is National Milky Way Day
Posted on March 12, 2015
Here are today’s five thing to know about Milky Way:
- The Milky Way bar was created in 1923 by Frank Mars.
- In the 1920’s it came in two flavors chocolate and vanilla.
- It was the first mass produced chocolate bar with a filling.
- The name ‘Milky Way’ was taken from a popular malted milkshake NOT the galaxy.
- Outside of North America the Milky Way is a completely different kind of candy bar.
The European version the Milky Way has no caramel topping and low density that it floats in milk.
There was vanilla flavored Milky Way called “Forever Yours” until 1979.
The first slogan of Milky Way was “The sweet you can eat between meals.”
The most recent slogan is “Life’s Better in the Milky Way.”
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1841 Orlando Jones of Middlesex, England received a U.S. patent for a process to make starch from rice or corn.
- 1894 Coca Cola was first bottled by Joseph A. Biedenham of Vicksburg, Mississippi. Before that it was only mixed to order at the soda fountain.
- 1912 Juliette ‘Daisy’ Gordon Low founded the Girl Scouts of the USA in Savannah, Georgia.
- 1929 RIP Asa Griggs Candler, In 1887, Asa Candler, a wholesale druggist, purchased the formula for Coca-Cola from John S. Pemberton, an Atlanta pharmacist, for $2,300. He sold the company in 1919 for $25 million.
- 1930 Mahatma Gandhi began his march to the coastal village of Dandi, to protest the British salt monopoly.
- 1993 RIP Christian Kent Nelson, He was the inventor of the Eskimo Pie in 1919 in Iowa.