March 28 is National Black Forest Cake Day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Black Forest Cake:
- Typically, Black Forest cake consists of several layers of chocolate cake, with whipped cream and cherries between each layer.
- In some European traditions sour cherries are used both between the layers and for decorating the top.
- Traditionally, Kirschwasser (a clear liquor distilled from tart cherries) is added to the cake, although other liquors are also used
- The cake is named not directly after the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) mountain range in southwestern Germany but rather from the specialty liquor of that region, known as Schwarzwälder Kirsch(wasser) and distilled from tart cherries.
- Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte was first mentioned in writing in 1934.
The record for the world’s largest authentic black forest cake, weighing 3000 kg, was set at Europa Park, Germany on 16 July 2006, by K&D Bakery.
In the history of black forest cake, it was not in the form of a cake but instead as a dessert recipe.
The forests in “Hansel and Gretel”, “Snow White”, and “Rapunzel” are based on the Black Forest. They are all German fairy tales.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1797 The first U.S. patent for a ‘washing machine’ was issued (possibly to Nathaniel Briggs). It was called a scrub board or wash board.
- 1819 Sir Joseph William Bazalgette was born. A British civil engineer, he designed the main sewer system for London.
- 1897 Victor Mills was born. He was a chemical engineer who worked for Proctor & Gamble. He improved Duncan Hines cake mixes, improved Jif peanut butter, and invented Pampers disposable diapers.
- 1968 ‘Whiskey On A Sunday’ was recorded by the Irish Rovers.
- 1996 John Leonard submitted an order form along with ‘Pepsi Points’ and a check to Pepsi for a Harrier Jump Jet. The Harrier had been featured in a Pepsi commercial as one of the items that could be redeemed for ‘points,’ or a combination of cash and points. Pepsi subsequently refused to send Leonard the Harrier Jump Jet (actual cost: $23 million). Leonard then sued, and finally a judge ruled that the Harrier Jump Jet had obviously been mentioned in the promotion as a joke.