June 7 is National Chocolate Ice Cream Day
Happy National Chocolate Ice Cream
Chocolate is the second most common flavor of ice cream in the United States.
Perfect time to enjoy a scoop…or two.
Did you know…
- An average dairy cow can produce enough milk in her lifetime to make a little over 9,000 gallons of ice cream.
- The udder of a cow can hold between 25-50 lbs. of milk.
- In the U.S., all ice cream needs to have a minimum of 10% milkfat if it is to be labeled “ice cream”. This includes custard based (French Style) ice creams.
- Sorbet, has no milk at all!
- In Sherbet, milkfat is between 1 – 2%.
Today’s Food History
- 1867 At the Cafe Anglais Chef Adolphe Duglere served the now famous ‘Dinner of the Three Emperors,’ for Tsar Alexander II of Russia, his son (later to become tsar Alexander III) and King William I of Prussia. The table service used for the dinner is still on display at the oldest existing restaurant in Paris, La Tour d’Argent. 1921 The Minnesota Cooperative Creameries Association is formed. It is now known as Land O’Lakes.
- 1939 Grapefruit sized hail kills hundreds of farm animals in Rock County, Minnesota.
- 1967 Dave Navarro of the music group ‘Red Hot Chili Peppers’ is born.
- 2001 ‘Lady Marmalade’ by Christina Aguilera, Lil’ Kim, Mya & Pink (from the movie Moulin Rouge) is #1 on the charts