June 30 is National Mai Tai Day
National Mai Tai Day
Five Food Finds about the Mai Tai
- The Mai Tai is an alcoholic cocktail based on rum, Curaçao liqueur, and lime juice
- Victor J. Bergeron claimed to have invented the Mai Tai in 1944 at his eponymous restaurant, Trader Vic’s, in Oakland, California
- “Maita’i” is the Tahitian word for “good”
- There are many recipes for Mai Tais. Eleven of them, including three different versions of Trader Vic’s, as well as the recipe of Don the Beachcomber, can be found at Wikibooks Mai Tai.
- The Mai Tai is synonymous with ‘Tiki culture‘ both past and present.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1895 A U.S. patent was issued for an electric stove.
1906 The Pure Food & Drug Act and the Meat Inspection Act were passed by Congress.
1930 Judge Joseph F. Crater of the New York State Supreme Court, walked out of a 45th Street restaurant in New York City on his way to the theater. He was never heard from again.
1936 Congress approved the 40-hour work week.
1966 Mike Tyson was born. On June 28, 1997, Tyson bit off a big chunk of Evander Holyfield’s ear in the 3rd round of a boxing match. Tyson was disqualified.
1985 James A. Dewar, died. The creator of the Twinkie (1930),
1996 Dr. Edward Anton Asselbergs died. (Exact date uncertain). He developed the process for making instant mashed potato flakes, the patent that is still used world-wide today