July 31 is National Cotton Candy Day
Posted on July 31, 2015
Happy National Cotton Candy Day
Five facts about Cotton Candy
- Cotton candy was originally called fairy floss.
- Cotton candy contains only one main ingredient: sugar. (color is just a trace ingredient)
- The process by which cotton candy is made has been around for over 100 years .
- Many believe cotton candy was first introduced to the world at the St Louis world’s fair.
- A Cotton Candy stick contains about as much sugar as one would get from a can of regular can of soft drink .
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1714 Queen Anne of Britain, the last of the Stuart dynasty died. She had grown so large that her coffin was almost square.
1790 The first U.S. patent was granted to Samuel Hopkins of Vermont. The patent was for a process for producing potash and pearlash . Potash was used in soap and fertilizer. Pearlash was also used in baking. It produced carbon dioxide gas in dough, used in the first ‘quick breads.’ (Commercial baking powder was not available until 1857 [phosphate baking powder]).
1921 There are reports that it rained frogs in Sterling, Connecticut.