August 8 is National Frozen Custard Day
Posted on August 8, 2015
Did you know frozen custard is almost always vanilla flavored
Here are today’s five thing to know about custard:
- Custard bases may also be used for quiches and other savory foods.
- Depending on how much egg or thickener is used, custard may vary in consistency from a thin pouring sauce (crème anglaise), to a thick pastry cream used to fill éclairs.
- Custard is a variety of culinary preparations based on a cooked mixture of milk or cream and egg yolk.
- The most common custards are used as desserts or dessert sauces and typically include sugar and vanilla.
- Sometimes flour, corn starch, or gelatin is added as in pastry cream or creme patissiere.
Today’s Pinterest Board: Custards / 101 ways
Today’s Food History
- 1899 A.T. Marshall of Brockton, Massachusetts patented the refrigerator.
- 1927 Alfalfa was born on this day. Actually, it was Carl Switzer who played Alfalfa in the ‘Our Gang’ short film series.
- 1983 Rolla N. Harger died. A biochemist, he invented the first successful test machine for blood alcohol content, the Drunkometer, in 1931.
- 1988 ‘Kid Chocolate’ (Elgio Saldana) died. He became Cuba’s first world boxing champion in 1931 after defeating Benny Bass for the Jr. Lightweight Championship.
- 2006 Krispy Kreme donuts opened its first Asian outlet in Hong Kong.