August 20 is National ‘Bacon Lover’s’ Day
Bacon Lover’s unite!!
Today’s fun facts about Bacon
- Bacon is one of the oldest processed meats in history. The Chinese began salting pork bellies as early as 1500 B.C.
- More than half of all homes (53%) keep bacon on hand at all times
- Pregnant women should eat bacon. Choline, which is found in bacon, helps fetal brain development
- Each year in the US more than 1.7 billion lbs. of bacon are consumed
- Bacon is said to cure hangovers
Today’s Food History
- 1913 Stainless steel was cast for the first time in Sheffield, England. Harry Brearly of Thomas Firth & Sons discovered how to make ‘the steel that doesn’t rust’ by accident.
- 1948 Robert Plant of the music group ‘Led Zeppelin’ was born.
- 1955 ‘The Popcorn Song’ by Cliffie Stone hit number 14 on the charts.
- 1968 The largest sea bass caught with a fishing rod weighed over 563 pounds. It was caught off the coast of California.