October 3 is National Soft Taco Day
National Soft Taco Day
Five Food Finds about Tacos
- A taco is a traditional Mexican dish composed of a corn or wheat tortilla folded or rolled around a filling.
- A taco can be made with a variety of fillings, including beef, chicken, seafood, vegetables and cheese, allowing for great versatility and variety.
- A taco is generally eaten without utensils and is often accompanied by garnishes such as salsa, avocado or guacamole, cilantro, tomatoes, minced meat, onions and lettuce.
- According to the Real Academia Española, publisher of Diccionario de la Lengua Española, the word taco describes a typical Mexican dish of a maize tortilla folded around food (“Tortilla de maíz enrollada con algún alimento dentro, típica de México”).
- The original sense of the word is of a “plug” or “wad” used to fill a hole (“Pedazo de madera, metal u otra materia, corto y grueso, que se encaja en algún hueco”).
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1863 Abraham Lincoln declared that Thanksgiving Day would be an annual event celebrated on the last Thursday in November.
1872 Emily Post was born. (or on October 27, 1872). Etiquette expert, newspaper columnist, author of ‘Etiquette in Society, in Business, in Politics, and at Home’ (1922); ‘The Emily Post Cook Book’ (1949); ‘Motor Manners’ (1950).
1883 The ‘Orient Express’ made its first run from Paris to Constantinople.
1899 The first motorized vacuum cleaner was patented by John S. Thurman.
1941 The first aerosol can was patented.
1964 Buffalo Wings were created. Created by Teressa Bellissimo at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York, for her son and some friends for a midnight snack.