October 17th is National Pasta Day!
Posted on October 17, 2015
Here are today’s five things to know about Pasta:
- The average American consumes 20 lbs. of pasta annually. This makes it the 6th highest food per capita in the country.
- As of March 2012, the average price an American pays for pasta is $1.45 per pound! This makes it one of the most affordable meals.
- 24% of the global consumption of pasta is by Americans – the largest of any country in the world. Americans consume 6 billion pounds of pasta each year.
- The United States produces 4.4 billion pounds of pasta annually, making it the second largest pasta-producing nation.
- Pasta made its way to the New World through the English, who discovered it while touring Italy. Colonists brought to America the English practice of cooking noodles at least one half hour, then smothering them with cream sauce and cheese.
Today’s Food History
- 1946 Jim Tucker of the music group ‘The Turtles’ was born.
- 1963 ‘Sugar Shack’ by Jimmy Gilmer & Fireballs is #1 on the charts
- 1977 The Guinness Book of World Records notes that Peter Dowdeswell managed to eat 40 sandwiches in 17 minutes, 53.9 seconds at a California donut shop on October 17, 1977. Each sandwich was 6 X 3 inches, spread with jam and butter.