October 30th is National Candy Corn Day!
Posted on October 30, 2015
Here are today’s five thing to know about Candy Corn:
- One serving of candy corn contains only about 140 calories.
- Candy corn has 3.57 calories per kernel.
- More than 35 million pounds of candy corn will be produced this year. That equates to nearly 9 billion pieces — enough to circle the moon nearly four times if laid end-to-end.
- Halloween accounts for 75% of the annual candy corn production.
- A cup of candy corn has fewer calories than a cup of raisins.
Today’s Food History
- 1815 Andrew Jackson Downing was born. American horticulturist, author of ‘The Fruits and Fruit Trees of America’ (1845) and editor of the ‘Horticulturist’ periodical.
- 1894 The first U.S. patent for a time clock was issued to Daniel Cooper of Rochester, New York.
- 1990 ‘Ice Ice Baby’ by Vanilla Ice is #1 on the charts.