November 5 is National Doughnut Day
Posted on November 5, 2015
Here are today’s five thing to know about Donuts:
- Internationally, Dunkin’ Donuts has over 1700 locations in 29 countries and over 6,000 stores in 30 countries world-wide! In the U.S. there are over 4,400 locations across 36 states.
- Krispy Kreme is probably best known for their fresh, hot, glazed, yeast-raised doughnuts. The company’s “Hot Doughnuts Now” flashing sign is an integral part of the brands appeal and fame.
- Jelly-filled and Chocolate frosted also rank as their top sellers. Coconut Crunch, although not a number one seller, still remains one of the over 52 varieties of donuts the chain produces on a yearly basis.
- USA Today also reports that the three fastest-growing chains in the U.S. are (in order) Dunkin’ Donuts, Krispy Kreme, and Tim Horton’s.
- Randy’s Donuts is a landmark in Inglewood, CA. The 22 foot diameter donut on top of the building was built in 1952. The giant donut has been featured in many TV shows as well as many popular movies, such as “Mars Attacks” and “Coming to America”.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1714 Bernardino Ramazzini died. An Italian physician, he was the first to note the relationship between worker’s illnesses and their work environment. Considered the founder of occupational medicine.
- 1854 Paul Sabatier was born. Organic chemist who researched catalytic organic synthesis. The margarine, oil hydrogenation and methanol industries grew out of his research.
- 1893 Raymond Loewy was born. An American design engineer, he designed the Coca Cola bottle, the 1934 Sears Coldspot refrigerator, toothbrushes, etc.
- 1946 Musician Gram Parsons was born. Member of the Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers.
- 1963 Viking ruins were found by archaeologists in Newfoundland, dated to about the year 1,000. Leif Ericson had landed at ‘Vinland’ – 500 years before Columbus ‘discovered’ the New World.
- 2000 David Ross Brower died. Brower was the founder of many environmental organizations including the Friends of the Earth and Earth Island Institute.