November 22 is National Cashew Day
Posted on November 22, 2015
Here are today’s five thing to know about Cashew:
- Pistachio, mango, cashew and poison ivy are in the same family.
- Cashews are native to Costa Rica and most of Central America.
- The fresh cashew nut has a substance inside that produce a highly valuable, and highly toxic product known as Cashew Nut Shell Liquid or CNSL.
- Cashews in Costa Rica are harvested during March and April.
- A freshly picked cashew nut is highly flammable and can even be explosive.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1808 Thomas Cook was born. In 1841 Cook hired a special excursion train between Leicester and Loughborough in England for a temperance meeting. The beginning of Thomas Cook & Son, the worldwide travel agency.
- 1862 Dr. Alexander P. Anderson was born. He developed Puffed Rice in NYC in 1902, which was introduced to the world at the St. Louis World’s Fair in 1904.
- 1967 Arlo Guthrie’s ballad/song ‘Alice’s Restaurant’ was released.
- 1992 Actor Sterling Holloway died. He was also the voice of Winnie The Pooh, the honey loving bear in Disney’s animated version.
Check out my book!