December 1st is National Fried Pie Day
Posted on December 1, 2015
Here are today’s five thing to know about Fried Pie:
- Fried pies are small fried dessert pastries, which have fruit fillings wrapped in the dough.
- Fried apple pies were first introduced in McDonald’s in 1968, originally fried in lard.
- New Hampshire fried pies(blue berry or blackberry flavored variations) were the favorite dessert of U.S. president Franklin Pierce.
- The two most popular flavors of fried pies in the deep South are apple and peach.
- Roadside stands in the South often refer to fried pies as “Crab Lanterns”
Today’s Pinterest Board : Fried Pies
Today’s Food History
- 1878 The first telephone was installed in the White House in Washington, D.C. Alexander Graham Bell installed it himself. Rutherford B. Hayes was president.
- 1885 Dr. Pepper is sold for the first time.
- 1886 Rex Stout, American crime writer was born. More than 70 of his novels and stories feature the fictional gourmand/gourmet detective, Nero Wolfe. Archie Goodwin, the detective’s assistant, described him as weighing “one seventh of a ton” (about 286 pounds). Shad Roe and Duck were two of Wolfe’s favorites, and he also consumed copious amounts of beer. Stout also published ‘The Nero Wolfe Cookbook’ in 1973.
- 1936 The first patent was issued for a commercial scale hydroponic system for plant culture (a ‘hydroponicum’). Ernest Walfrid Brundin and Frank F. Lyon received the patent on the system they had set up the previous year.
- 1944 Eric Bloom of the music group ‘Blue Oyster Cult’ was born.
- 1990 British and French workers digging the Channel Tunnel from their respective countries drilled through a final piece of rock and shook hands, 22.3 km from the UK, 15.6 km from France.
- 1999 The Russian Duma passed an animal rights bill that prohibits people from eating their pets.