December 4th is National Cookie Day!
Posted on December 4, 2015
Here are today’s five thing to know about Cookie:
- Cookies are typically made of flour, eggs, sugar, and butter or cooking oil. Common ingredients adding to cookies are raisins, oats, or chocolate chips.
- The name cookie derives from the Dutch word koekje or koekie, which means little cake.
- The origin of cookies appear to be in 7th century AD Persia.
- Cookies spread to Europe through the Muslim conquest of Spain.
- Some popular early American cookies include the macaroon and gingerbread cookies.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1783 At Fraunces Tavern in New York City, General George Washington bids farewell to his officers.
- 1786 National Grange was founded. It was the first organized agricultural movement in the U.S.
- 1812 The power mower was patented.
- 1864 John Fowler died. An English Engineer, he invented the steam-hauled plow and several other special use plows.
- 1942 Chris Hillman of the music group ‘Flying Burrito Brothers’ was born.
- 1970 Cesar Chavez was jailed in California for refusing to cancel a United Farm Workers lettuce boycott.