Here are today’s five thing to know about Brownie:
- A brownie or chocolate brownie is a flat, baked square or bar, usually containing nuts.
- Brownie was developed in the United States at the end of the 19th century and popularized in both the U.S. and Canada during the first half of the 20th century.
- Brownie was first created by a chef at Chicago’s Palmer House Hotel for ladies attending the Chicago 1893 World Fair.
- The earliest published recipes for a brownie like those of today appeared in the Home Cookery (1904, Laconia, NH), Service Club Cook Book (1904, Chicago, IL), The Boston Globe (April 2, 1905 p. 34), and the 1906 edition of The Boston Cooking School Cook Book by Fannie Merritt Farmer.
- A variation that is made with brown sugar and no chocolate is called a blondie.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1765 Eli Whitney was born. Inventor of the cotton gin, but more important he developed the concept of mass producing interchangeable parts.
- 1896 J.T. White was issued a patent for an improved lemon squeezer.
- 1925 The Marx Brothers ‘The Cocoanuts’ opened on Broadway.
- 1976 ‘Hotel California’ was released by The Eagles. One of the best selling albums of all time. (An album is what we had before CDs).
- 1982 ‘Maneater’ by Daryl Hall & John Oates is #1 on the charts.
- 2006 A smoking ban in all bars and restaurants in Nevada goes into effect.