December 9th is National Pastry Day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Pastry:
- Basic ingredients of pastry are flour, fat and water.
- The first crude pastry was made out of grain meal flavored with honey by ancient Egyptians.
- Pastries were first brought to Europe during the Muslim invasion of the 7th century.
- The European tradition of pastry-making is often traced back to the shortcrust era of flaky doughs that were in use throughout the Mediterranean in ancient times.
- The word pastry comes from a middle English word meaning made of paste (pastry).
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1814 Joseph Bramah died. An English engineer, among his many inventions was a beer engine, used to deliver beer from keg to glass without artificial carbonation being added.
- 1886 Clarence Birdseye was born in Brooklyn, New York. In 1924, Clarence Birdseye, with the financial backing of Wetmore Hodges, William Gamage, Basset Jones, I.L. Rice and J.J. Barry, organized the General Seafood Corporation. The birth of the frozen food industry.
- 1927 ‘Struttin’ With Some Barbecue’ was recorded by Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five.
- 1935 Lafayette Benedict Mendel died. An American biochemist who published various papers on nutrition. His work on vitamins and proteins helped establish modern standards of nutrition.
- 1993 On the TV show ‘Seinfield,’ Kramer came up with the idea to write a coffee table book about coffee tables.
- 1997 Karl August Folkers died. He was the first to isolate vitamin B12.
Check out my book!
Categories: December Food Holidays, Food Holidays, Uncategorized
Tagged: national Pastry day
You must be logged in to post a comment.