December 18 is National “I Love Honey” Day
Posted on December 18, 2015
Here are today’s five thing to know about Honey:
- Greeks and Roman referred to honey as a food fit for the gods.
- A honey wine was developed, and largely consumed by many. Its given name was mead.
- Honey was so in demand in the eleventh century that it was a stipulation for German peasants to offer their feudal lords payment in honey and beeswax.
- Have allergies? Take a teaspoon a day of a honey made from the region where you reside and it will aid in developing resistance to pollen thereby reducing your allergies.
- Have chapped lips? Apply honey!
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1829 Jean-Baptiste-Pierre-Antoine de Monet, Chevalier de Lamarck died. A French naturalist, he believed in the inheritance of acquired traits. He was the first to draw an evolutionary diagram. Some of his ideas influenced Darwin.
- 1965 ‘Taste Of Honey’ by Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass is #1 on the charts.
- 1988 Pillsbury Co. is acquired by the British company Grand Metropolitan PLC, a food and spirits conglomerate.
- 1991 The ‘International Project to Save the Brazilian Rainforests’ was launched.