December 28 is National Chocolate Candy Day
Posted on December 28, 2015
Here are today’s five thing to know about Chocolate:
- The word “chocolate” comes from the Aztec word, “Xocolatl”, which ironically means “bitter water”.
- The biggest bar of chocolate ever made was created in 2000 and weighed 5,000 pounds. Turin is the city in Italy that can be proud of this accomplishment.
- While the US produces the most chocolate and consume the most pounds every year, the Swiss consume the most per capita, followed closely by the English.
- Chocolate manufacturers currently use 40% of the world’s almonds and 20% of the world’s peanuts.
- Every Russian and American space voyage has included chocolate bars.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1763 John Molson was born. Founder of Molson Brewery, Montreal, Canada.
- 1869 William Finley Semple patented the first chewing gum, although he never commercially manufactured any gum.
- 1886 Josephine Garis Cochran patented the first commercially successful dish washing machine. It became a huge hit at the 1893 Columbian Exposition. Her company eventually evolved into KitchenAid.
- 1897 Edmond Rostand’s romantic, dramatic play ‘Cyarano de Bergerac’ premiers in Paris. A unique combination of love, swordplay, comedy, pathos and proboscis.
Check out my book!