Here are today’s five thing to know about Apricot:
- In Latin, apricot means ‘precious’.
- The apricot, discovered about 4,000 years ago in China, was introduced to the United States in the 18th century.
- Brought to California by Spanish explorers, the apricot quickly became a popular crop.
- Today, apricot farmers in California produce more than 95 percent of the apricots grown in the United States.
- Choose an apricot that’s plump and that responds to the slight pressure of your thumb. It should be slightly soft.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1838 The first Flea Circus in the U.S. opened at 187 Broadway in New York City.
- 1858 Elizabeth Gertrude Knight Britton was born. An American botanist, her efforts were a major factor in the establishment of the New York Botanical Gardens.
- 1956 The first ‘Dear Abby’ column was published.
- 1969 “I Heard It Through The Grapevine” by Marvin Gaye is #1 on the charts.
- 1980 “Escape (The Pina Colada Song)” by Rupert Holmes is #1 on the charts.
- 1995 Peter Cook, British actor and comedian died.