January 20 is National Cheese Lover’s Day
Posted on January 20, 2016
National “Cheese Lover’s” Day
Five Food Finds about Cheese
- Cheeses are more flavorful at room temperature. Let them stand for a half hour before serving.
- Cheese is an ancient food whose origins predate recorded history.
- Artisan cheese, made in small batches from local sources, is growing at a pace that exceeds even the growth rate of general cheese consumption in America.
- Some studies claim that cheddar, mozzarella, Swiss and American cheeses can help to prevent tooth decay.
- A study by the British Cheese Board in 2005 showed cheese has positive effects on sleep, not nightmares as Ebeneser Scrooge seemed to think.
On This Day in Food History…
1785 Samuel Ellis advertised to sell his Oyster Island with no takers. Later renamed Ellis Island
1920 The 50-50 Club opened, considered the 1st ‘speakeasy.’
1964 The world’s largest cheese was presented at the 1964 New York World’s Fair, weighing in at over 34,000 pounds. It was presented by the Wisconsin Cheese Foundation, using over 170,000 qts of milk from over 16,000 cows.
1988 Famed vineyard manager Philippe de Rothschild dies.
1998 Researchers in America announced they had cloned calves for use in producing medicinal milk.