January 26th is National Peanut Brittle Day
Posted on January 26, 2016
Here are today’s five thing to know about Peanut Brittle:
- “Brittle” , a flat hardened sugar candy, is thought to be one of the first candies ever made.
- Peanut brittle made with corn syrups & nuts began appearing in cookbooks around the 19th century.
- Because we find peanut brittle recipes most commonly in American cookbooks, it is generally recognized as an American recipe.
- The history of peanut brittle is tied to Tony Beaver, a lumberjack folk hero. In the story, Tony Beaver creates peanut brittle when he stops a flood using peanuts and molasses.
- According to the history of peanut brittle candy, brittle was probably the first candy ever made.
Daily Quote: “A fanatic is a nut who has something to believe in.”~Dean Koontz
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1838 The first state temperance law was passed in Tennessee.
- 1875 The first battery-powered dentist’s drill was patented by George F Green of Kalamazoo, Michigan.
- 1932 RIP William Wrigley, Jr. He started Juicy Fruit chewing gum in 1893, & later Wrigley’s Spearmint. Wrigley’s boson became the largest chewing gum manufacturer in the world.
- 2007 RIP Sharon Tyler Herbst Author of ‘ The Food Lover’s Companion,’ ‘The Joy of Cookies,’ & many more food related books.
Check out my book!